Black and white view of Lotherton Hall, once owned by the Gascoigne family. It has been altered considerably at various times since it was acquired by Richard Oliver Gascoigne in 1825. His grandson Colonel Frederick Richard Thomas Trench Gascoigne, inherited the property in 1893 and with his wife, Mrs. Laura Gwendolen Gascoigne, instigated some major extensions and alterations. These included the large drawing room and entrance hall at the western end of the building, left. Mrs. Gascoigne created the gardens and incorporated some rare species of plants, utilising her considerable botanical knowledge. Nowadays, the house and gardens are open to the public as the Gascoigne family presented the estate to Leeds City Council in 1968.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.