Image shows a side view of the Town Hall in the centre of the Market Place. The photograph is likely to date from the early twentieth century. The building, which has change little over the years, was built on the site of the old Court House, The foundation stone was laid by Alexander Brown of Wetherby Grange on 11th June 1845. It was designed in the Classical style to include an assembly room,reading room and court room. The accommodation for the Church School 'a Perpetual Nursery for the Church in training up the Children in her principles and service' was provided on the ground floor.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.