View of Armley Congregational Church in Hall Lane. On an O.S. map for 1986 it was recorded as the Armley United Reformed Church. A national split within the Methodist community meant the formation of splinter groups. The Methodist New Connexion in Armley was one of these and they were responsible for building two new chapels, this one in Hall Lane and the Bethseda Chapel in Theaker Lane. The foundation stone was laid on Saturday 30th January 1897 and the church opened its doors on 12th March 1898. The Rev.W.L.Tonge was in residence here at the time the church opened. The church is constructed in brick with stone dressings and housed an organ gifted by Joseph Hepworth, Esq. J.P. of Headingley House. It originally had a spire erected on the square structure to the right. An early picture of the church and more information can be found in 'Armley Through the Camera' by T.Kirby. The church has been converted into residential flats in recent years.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.