6th March 1964.
View looks from Filey Street onto St Dunstan's District Church in Parliament Terrace, which is no longer in use. It was originally built as a Mission Room, in connection with St. Bartholomew's Church, to respond to the ever-growing population and considerable increase in housing. The building of the Mission Room was instigated by Canon Hume Smith in 1897 and the young men in the congregation of St. Bartholomew's immediately offered £50 in subscriptions. The site in Parliament Terrace was purchased on 30th April, 1888 at a cost of £221 and 15s. The contractor, Mr. Josiah Walker, commenced building the two storey Mission Room to designs by architects, Messrs. Smith & Tweedale. Mr. Marshall Stables and Mr. Willliam Taylor, representing the congregation and the Sunday School, laid the four corner stones on the Feast of St. Bartholomew, 1898. The cost of the building and furniture totalled £1,321 5s and 7d. The Mission Room became a District Church in 1898 and a license to celebrate Holy Communion was granted at that time. The first Holy Communion was celebrated there on the morning of Christmas Day 1898. When a second District Church was built, that of St. Hugh in Armley Lodge Road, consecrated in 1909, the District Church seen here was dedicated to St. Dunstan.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.