8th March 1938.
Artists impression of a skyscraper planned for Briggate. On 8th March 1938 plans were discussed for a 23 storey landmark skyscraper, the development scheme of Briggate Properties Ltd. Three of the directors of Briggate Properties Ltd. were well known in Leeds, Sir Henry Price, Mr. John Lambert and Major J. Milner M.P. The 3000 square yard site stretched from Briggate to Trinity Street, between Nelson's Yard and Upton's Yard. Part of the proposed site was occupied by the 1911 building of the Rialto cinema, formerly the Picture House. Nowadays, Marks & Spencer in Briggate is located on this site. The skyscraper was very ambitious in design with an unbroken elevation of 255', making it 35' higher than the dome of Leeds Town hall and twice the height of the Queen's hotel. A tower was to be constructed above the flat roof to a height of 55' and mounted on the tower would be a 60' flagstaff. The tower would be illuminated at night. The skyscraper, built in reinforced concrete within a steel frame and brick, would occupy an 86' frontage on Briggate and a 70' frontage on Trinity Street. The development was set to attract well known retail stores. The project was abandoned due to the onset of World War 2 and so it would be many years before any more skyscrapers were planned for Leeds City Centre.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.